NAFE’s Capacity Building Program for Civil Society Organizations
NAFE’s capacity building for Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) is designed to help local CSOs and CBOs achieve the greatest possible programme impact through the best organizational practice. It aims to shift their role from being providers of aid and humanitarian assistance into playing more effective role as development and local governance actors.
What we do?
Strengthening internal capacities of CSOs and CBOs
NAFE strengthens capacities of CSOs and CBOs at the managerial level in order to be more accountable and transparent. NAFE equips CSOs and CBOs with necessary tools to operate effectively and professionally, and builds their organizational capacities and enables them to sustain themselves through capacity training on strategic planning, financial management, revenue generation and accountable fundraising, project management, monitoring and evaluation and needs assessment.
Strengthening CSOs and CBOs capacities to conduct evidence-based advocacy
NAFE trains CSOs and CBOs on the effectiveness of evidence-based advocacy. This training includes setting advocacy priorities, identifying issues for advocacy, conduct participatory appraisal, evaluating issues for advocacy, assessing the political, social, and economic environment for advocacy, and the role of media in advocacy. NAFE also supports CSOs and CBOs in integration of advocacy issues into strategy plans, and provides them with support and mentorship to develop advocacy plan on certain issues that reflect the needs and priorities of local communities and citizens.
Enhance the engagement of CSOs and CBOs in local decision making process
NAFE facilitates the engagement of CSOs and CBOs in local decision making process and enhances their abilities to become local governance actors. We train CSOs and CBOs how to target unrepresented social groups, especially women, youth and disabled, and enhance their participation in local decision making process. NAFE also builds capacities of civil society on methodologies, tools and mechanisms of social accountability and good governance, and how to facilitate communication and dialogue platforms between citizens and local governments to discuss contentious issues, and how to conduct evidence-based advocacy to influence government officials and local governments to be more responsiveness to citizens demands and priorities and to improve public services.
Strengthening capacities of CSOs and CBOs to respond to Gender-Based Violence and gender inequalities
One of NAFE’s core objectives is working towards ending gender-based violence and violence against women and girls. In this regard, NAFE:
- Establishes hubs at women-led CBOs to improve access for women and girls to essential, safe and adequate multi-sectoral services to end violence against women and girls. Those hubs serve as safe places for women and girls survivors of violence and are equipped with necessary tools and human resources; their capacities are strengthened on referral mechanisms, and are trained to empower women economically, socially, legally and politically to break out the cycle of violence. NAFE also builds capacities of women-led CBOs to provide gender-sensitive basic services and protection from violence and exploitation for women and girls, including responding to the needs and rights of especially excluded and underserved groups among refugees.
- Supports CSOs and CBOs on developing specific strategies for primary prevention of violence against women and girls. This includes implementation of community and/or school-based approaches and interventions on working with men and boys on changing gender norms.
- Trains CSOs and CBOs to design and implement awareness and advocacy training activities that empower refugees to respond to different types of violence against women and girls, and creating space for dialogue among and between refugees and hosting communities.
- Trains CSOs and CBOs on designing and implementation of awareness raising campaigns and community-based initiatives and engage men and boys from refugee and host communities in efforts to prevent gender-based violence and to advocate for the empowerment of women and girls.
- Strengthens capacities of CSOs and CBOs on networking, coalition building and developing of social media strategies to communicate the collective efforts towards ending gender-based violence and gender inequalities.